Conduct Number Talks Before and After the Game.
A 'Number Talk' is a 5 to 15 minute class discussion which focuses on the efficient use of number strategies to solve problems. The teacher and students verbally communicate problem solving strategies to explore and expose the group to new ways of thinking. The talks serve to deepen mathematical understandings and develop computational fluency.
Possible Number Talks:
- Throw the dice and model solving the problem presented. NB The verbalizing of teacher self talk is very important e.g I worked this out by going 4+4 is 8, it's 2 more to 10 and then 10 more to 20 so the answer is 2+10.
- Does anyone have a different way of doing it?
- Explain to a partner how you found the answer. ie Use the 'Think, Pair Share' or 'Think, Pair Square' strategy.
- How could we use subtraction to solve these problems? 'Think, Pair Share'
- Explore - Which is the most efficient way of working out these problems? 'Think, Pair Share'
- Is there any need to say 'plus' when adding mentally e.g if the dice show 5 and a 6 do you really need to say mentally 5+6=11?
Base Number Talks on Observed Behaviours:
- When you see a lot of ‘Counting On’ to solve the dice numbers, encourage the practising of strategies because they are efficient. Model how efficient they are.
- Bridge to Ten
- Facts to Twenty
- Counting by 2s
- Counting backwards and forwards
Possible Journal Reflections:
- I enjoyed playing this Math game today because______________
- I did not enjoy playing this Math game today because___________
- While playing the Math game today I figured out ________
- After playing this Math game I can now ___________
- Based on the way I felt today in Math I need to __________
- What did you discover about your use of Addition strategies while playing this game.
- On a scale from 1 to 10 I rated my Math work a ______ today because________
Included in this Download:
- 1 Pilots Friends to 20 Full Color Game Board
- 1 Pilots Friends to 20 Low Color Game Board
- 1 Pool Party Friends to 20 Full Color Game Board
- 1 Pool Party Friends to 20 Low Color Game Board
- 1 Super Heroes Friends to 20 Full Color Game Board
- 1 Super Heroes Workers Friends to 20 Low Color Game Board
- 1 Witches Friends to 20 Full Color Game Board
- 1 Witches Friends to 20 Low Color Game Board
- 1 Set of Game Rules
- Teaching Notes
- Possible Math Journal Reflections
- Check out the file preview for a good look at the game boards :-)
NB There are 'low color' versions of each board in this download
just in case you have one of 'those' principals hehehe
Huge thanks to PrettyGrafik for the help with te game graphics.