Place Value Charts - For Big Numbers
These Large Number Place Value Charts are the natural extension of our other Place Value Charts. They are ideal for teaching students how to read large numbers. Set them up on a wall display, on the classroom door or in the classroom window. If you change the numerals every day you'll soon have students bringing their friends to read really big numbers.
Possible Billions Research:
- What is the current world population?
- What is the current population of China?
- What is the current population of India?
- Find five interesting facts that involve the answers being in the billions.
- List the names of 5 billionaires in order of their estimated fortunes.
- How many years until the sun runs out of fuel? Should we be worried? :)
- If you managed to save $1000 a day it would take 2 737 years,10 months and 7 days to save a billion dollars.
Trillions Research and Interesting Facts:
Get 2 packets of photocopy paper with 500 sheets in each. Measure their width and then start multiplying by 1000 to work out high high 1 million sheets of paper would be. Why? because we can hehehe Then work out how high for a billion and trillion. Big isn't it.
In 2011 world trade was estimated at $18.2 trillion.
Although estimates vary, the human body is thought to be made up of around 100 trillion cells.
A trillion seconds is 31 688 years.
Ideas for General Research to inspire 'awe & wonder' in relation to REALLY LARGE numbers!
- What is the height of the largest 3 mountains on Earth?
- What is the height of Olympus Mons? What is it? Where is it?
- Where is the deepest part of Earth's oceans? How deep is it?
- What is the circumference of the Earth at the Equator?
- Earth orbits the Sun at how many kilometers per hour?
- How many children are born each day?
- How many people die each day?
- What is the maximum and minimum distance between Earth and a planet of your choice?
- Find five facts about really large numbers that you will think will impress your teacher.
Here are a couple of facts my students have found interesting over the years:
* Earth is estimated to weight - 5 940 000 000 000 000 000 000 metric tons.
* It is estimated that there are 100 000 000 000 000 000 ants in the world.
* The closest star to Earth (other than our sun) is Proxima Centari at about 23 651 321 012 500 kilometers
* There are 170 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 different ways to play the first 10 moves of a chess game.
Just for Fun:
Type any huge number to this How to Read Large Numbers? site and it will tell you exactly how to read it.