Electronic Scroggle Word Puzzle
How Many Words Can You Find in this combined Scrabble & Boggle?
By combining the game play of the traditional board games of Boggle and Scrabble we have created a brand new game that the followers of my website have decided to call Scroggle.
Game in a Nutshell:
You press the roll button, the letters all move around, students find as many words as possible, students add the scores of their words together to find a winner.
- to have a little fun while practicing word building
- to practice problem solving skills.
What You Need:
1 Electronic Scroggle Program
scrap paper for each player
a timer of some kind
- Project the game board onto your whiteboard.
- Set up the game on a laptop or PC for small group work.
How to Play:
1. Students sit with a pencil and paper facing the puzzle in pairs.
2. Leader presses the Start button on the puzzle generator and starts a timer.
3. Students join the letters horizontally, vertically and diagonally to form words.
NB They can join the corners of touching letters to form words.
4. After 3 minutes (vary the length of the game based on your students' needs ) students compare words and eliminate spelling mistakes etc.
5. Students tally the points for each word and decide on a winner.
Before the Game:
- Discuss strategies used by yourself and the students for finding words e.g. I tend to have a general glance at the board to see what just pops up then start at the top of the board looking for consonants followed by vowels to see what I can join together and then work my way to the bottom of the board. I then look for words that start with vowel sounds. What works for you?
- Do a web search for 'Boggle tips and tricks' and see what pointers you can get.