Vocabulary Enhancement Strategies - 3 more cards to use in group reading sessions to focus on the meaning of words and expanding vocabulary.
Wall Display – Students prepare a creative card based wall display of new vocabulary
Each Card is to Include:
- given word
- illustration or cartoon
- word origins (if easily found)
Discuss each card before adding it to the display
Incidentals – A couple of things to say & do throughout the day
- ‘Before you head to you next activity, just remind me of the meaning of...’
- Teacher uses some of the words incidentally in other activities & contexts
- Encourage students to use the words in other contexts. Ham it up and make a big deal of it when they do.
Shared Pronunciation – Which words in this text are important for us all to pronounce the same way? e.g. names, subject specific language, place names etc
- practice saying the words in unison
- write fon–et–ic pronunciation for later reference
- Where can we find the correct pronunciation? Some options - ask expert people; use audio function at http://www.dictionary.com/