Before the Game:
- Revise the words used in the game as a quick sight word drill. It is important to use a variety of ways of describing the position of sounds
NB Be sure to use the phonetic sound of a letter rather than its alphabet name as this game is about providing decoding skills.
- I'm thinking of a word beginning a/an (insert sound)
- The word I'm thinking of has a/an (insert medial sound) in the middle.
- The word I'm thinking of ends with a/an (insert sound)
After the Game:
- Add the cards to a wall display until next time the game is played. This gives students a chance to revise and become very familiar with the words.
- Once you've given a sound clue add a real world clue e.g. I'm thinking of a word which ends with an 'n' and it lays eggs.
Words Included in this Game:
bad, bat, bar, cat, can, cap, car, dad, fat, fan, far, gap, gas, hat, jam, lap, nap, map, man, pat, pan, rat, sad, sap, sat, tap, tan, tar, van, vat, wag, zap
bed, bet, den, fed, gel, get, hen, her, hex, jet, led, leg, let, men, met, net, pet, pen, red, set, ten, vet, wet
big, bin, bit, did, dig, dip, fit, fin, fix, gig, hid, hit, him, hip, his, kid, kit, lid, lip, mit, pig, pin, pit, rid, rig, sip, sit, six, tin, tip, win, zip
Bob, box, cob, cod, cot, cop, dog, dot, fog, fox, got, hog, hop, hot, job, jog, log, lot, mob, mop, not, pop, pot, rob, rod, sob, top,
bug, bun, but, cup, cut, fun, gum, hug, hum, jug, lug, mud, mug, mum, nut, pun, pup, rub, rug, run, sum, tub, tug,